Apeel Sciences is a company based in Goleta, Calif., whose edible coating product Apeel can make avocados, citrus and other types of fruit last twice as long as usual by using a tasteless edible coating made from plant materials.
1. What changes have you made to your candidate experience recently? What improvements are you most proud of? How do you know that your changes are making a difference?
We removed a large presentation assessment stage for any candidates interviewing for entry to mid level roles. We have also put restrictions on which roles will have on-site interviews.
Both of these adjustments have increased the speed at which we can move a candidate through the interview process.
We put more of an effort into closing our high-level candidates by providing a white-glove experience which includes gift baskets, lunch, dinner with the team and direct contact to our employees that they may want to speak with privately. These specific employees could include our travel specialist, benefits manager, etc.
In return, we received positive candidate feedback when, prior, there wasn’t much communication one way or another on if a VIP candidate enjoyed their time with us.
2. Why did you decide to make changes to how candidates were being treated? What data or evidence prompted you to make a change?
We had time to look deeper into our candidate experience due to cutbacks, and we found the interview process was taking too long based on our own experiences and negative feedback from candidates.
3. How did you build support and commitment within your team and the broader organization? How did you demonstrate the importance of candidate experience?
This is an ongoing process including a hiring manager presentation where two recruiters presented on the importance of candidate experience and involvement from everyone based on survey results and direct feedback.
The job market has drastically changed through COVID-19, and we needed to adapt to the changes. We were losing out on excellent candidates and this made us really analyze what we were willing to give up or keep throughout the recruiting and interview process.
4. How do you measure candidate experience? How do you report on your recruiting process? How do you use that data to demonstrate financial impact as well as manage recruiter and hiring manager behaviors?
- We leverage surveys: Greenhouse surveys and the Talent Board survey.
- Glassdoor reviews.
- Quarterly Greenhouse audits.